VCA ART 2020

Kate Lewis

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

My art practice examines contemporary domesticity. This series is a critique of the internal and often conflicted landscape of the home; understood as a place of refuge and an expression of our individuality. I consider my privilege in having a place to call home and how it has become a site of internment this year, from which I dream of other spaces.

I have explored the home through the medium of oil painting on board, canvas and wood. I utilise subversion, altered angles, still life composition, exaggerated colours and flat space to invite the audience to experience these intimate spaces with me. This series draws particular influence from both the masters of the twentieth century and contemporary artists, such as Prudence Flint, Inès Longevial, David Griggs, Louise Tuckwell, Nick Collerson and Max Berry.

Kate Lewis, *Memories of Saint Georges River*, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, Memories of Saint Georges River, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, *Tea time*, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, Tea time, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, *Moule Frites*, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, Moule Frites, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, *Corners part 3*, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, Corners part 3, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, *Living part 4*, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, Living part 4, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, *Corners part 2*, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, Corners part 2, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, *Inner landscape part 2*, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, Inner landscape part 2, oil on board, 2020
Kate Lewis, installation view, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.
Kate Lewis, Corners part 2 and Inner landscape part 2 (installation view), oil on board, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content