VCA ART 2020

Taya Mikah

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Sculpture)

Through gardening, I have become more conscious of how plants hold themselves. I began to see everything dropping downwards but growing upwards; a sort of directional play facilitated by the tension between the light of the sun and the gravity of the earth. To explore this relationship, I started making plant stems from my studio curtains. I gathered the fabric through spiralled bin-rescued copper wires to create the spine-like plant structures. Where wire meets fabric a floppy, yet secure, tension is created and the stems hold themselves in whatever space they are placed in—hang them, put them on a chair, lace them or knot them. Playing with these stems helped me find what I was always looking for: a structure that can drop but also hold its own centre, as gravity holds us all.

Taya Mikah, When the body becomes the eye, double channel video installation, 2020
Taya Mikah, Systems, 35mm film photograph, 2020
Taya Mikah, Kissing the Earth, 35mm film photograph, 2020
Taya Mikah, When the body becomes the eye, double channel video installation, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content