Zachary Rockman

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting)

My work largely takes place within the realm of painting and digital collage. The presence of text in my works hints toward an affinity for lyricism, acting as abstract summaries of the content of the paintings. In a coded manner, I have attempted to address the current climate of rampant superstition and the rise of conservative leadership, using visual metaphors from countercultural cinema and art historical references. More specifically, the on-screen and historically painted scenes of occult gatherings point toward alternative social mores within a surreal and imagined space.

Zachary Rockman, Continuous Passage: Each Way, oil on linen, 2020
Zachary Rockman, The Convocation (Bathed in light), oil on canvas, 2020
Zachary Rockman, Allegory of Self I, oil on linen, 2020
Zachary Rockman, installation view, 2020.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.