Zachariya Bol

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

With an interest in fabricating synthetic spaces and weaving narratives, my work centres around the influences of symbolic structures—both literal and imposed—formed by social tensions and power relations. Informed by my heritage and background, I reference the structure of Turkish carpets and Islamic prayer rugs as both a site of cultural production and signifier of a social chronicle. Utilising a drawing-based practice, aesthetically I aim to depict unity within multiplicity and diversity within repetition. I aim for my work to be dialectic rather than dichotomous to facilitate a dissipation of binary ways of seeing and experiencing. My wager is to prompt people to look closer at what is pushed to the periphery and then question the hierarchy of value.

Zachariya Bol, installation view, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.
Zachariya Bol, Interstice #2, biro on rag paper, 2020.
Zachariya Bol, Interstice #2, biro on rag paper, 2020
Zachariya Bol, Interstice #1, biro on rag paper, 2020.
Zachariya Bol, Interstice #1, biro on rag paper, 2020
Zachariya Bol, Interstice #3, biro on rag paper, 2020.
Zachariya Bol, Interstice #3, biro on rag paper, 2020
Zachariya Bol, Weave #1, biro on paper, 2020.
Zachariya Bol, Weave #1, biro on paper, 2020
Zachariya Bol, Weave #2, biro on paper, 2020.
Zachariya Bol, Weave #2, biro on paper, 2020
Zachariya Bol, Borders of Betweens #1, etching, engraving, and chine collé on rag paper, 2020.
Zachariya Bol, Borders of Betweens #1, etching, engraving, and chine collé on rag paper, 2020
Zachariya Bol, Borders of Betweens #2, etching, engraving, and chine collé on rag paper, 2020.
Zachariya Bol, Borders of Betweens #2, etching, engraving, and chine collé on rag paper, 2020

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.