Claudia Saballa Hobbs

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Photography)

My dad denied his heritage throughout my childhood and into my adult life. My work is a navigation of the generational tension that affects my understanding of his past; growing up in Pinochet's military dictatorship in Chile. This series is based on the arpilleras—scraps of fabric sewn together by Chilean women into depictions of the atrocities they were enduring, in order to communicate their shared suffering with each other and the outside world. I am interested in the dual nature of both storytelling and materiality, which has translated into a body of work that explores the retelling of stories and questions the physicality and materiality of image making.

Claudia Saballa Hobbs, Andes, Desaparecidos, Digital print on canson rag , Victorian ash frame, painted spline joins, 30 x 40cm, 2020
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, Andes, Desaparecidos, digital print on canson rag, Victorian ash frame, painted spline joins, 2020
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, Tunnels, Rats, Milk, Digital print on canson rag , Victorian ash frame, painted spline joins, 30 x 40cm, 2020
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, Tunnels, Rats, Milk, digital print on canson rag, Victorian ash frame, painted spline joins, 2020
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, The Best in the Country, Digital print on canson rag , Victorian ash frame, painted spline joins, 30 x 40cm, 2020
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, The Best in the Country, digital print on canson rag, Victorian ash frame, painted spline joins, 2020
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, Soft Drinks on the Roof, Digital print on canson rag , Victorian ash frame, painted spline joins, 30 x 40cm, 2020
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, Soft Drinks on the Roof, digital print on canson rag, Victorian ash frame, painted spline joins, 30 x 40cm, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, graduate exhibition installation view, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.
Claudia Saballa Hobbs, installation view, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.