VCA ART 2020

Jah Maskell

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Photography)

My installations are rooms within a home, investigating isolation in reference to the working-class culture of the 1970s, to explore fragile domesticity and the stress of childhood. Actually, I just want to make my Mum happy in anything I create. Through video installation, I pair melodramatic self-portraiture with hand fabricated and forged steel furniture—welded, tapered and rusted steel replicas of designer furniture that provide a backdrop to the moving image. I manipulate steel through heat and blunt force and the self through costume, make-up and characterisation to recall feelings of anxiety, jealousy and discomfort with my environment and a sense of self from childhood to adulthood.

Jah Maskell, Trough, Welded black steel, forged and tapered spikes, molasses, 2020
Jah Maskell, Trough, welded black steel, forged and tapered spikes, molasses, 2020
Jah Maskell, Mattress, Rusted iron spring mattress, black steel and tapered hook railing, 2020
Jah Maskell, Mattress, rusted iron spring mattress, black steel and tapered hook railing, 2020
Jah Maskell, Side Table & Ash Tray, Welded black steel, black velvet lining, 2020
Jah Maskell, Side Table & Ash Tray, welded black steel, black velvet lining, 2020
Jah Maskell, Chair, Welded black steel, plywood, foam seating, vinyl, 2020
Jah Maskell, Chair, welded black steel, plywood, foam seating, vinyl, 2020
Jah Maskell, Home, Mini DV Video Installation, 2020
Jah Maskell, graduate exhibition installation view, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.
Jah Maskell, installation view, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content