Brock Q. Piper

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

I take an anthropological approach to my compositions. My work reflects the mythology and the mythos of travel and the people that are intertwined within my artist’s journey.

My works are as much about the viewer as they are the historical and cultural narratives woven into the work; an outsider’s observations of cultural ambiguity and the mythological landscapes that invite you in to the world I travel through. Surreal abstractions of memory and the role of travel in my multidisciplinary artist practice.

I use very thin layers of oil paint to create images that allude to a sense of both creation and destruction. An aesthetic that plays with illuminating and obscuring elements hidden within; layers are eroding as they are being replaced.

My work employs a deep understanding of colour theory and oil glazing techniques as the work evolves to reveal hidden elements, only visible throughout the changing light of the day.

Brock Q. Piper, *THE PROPOSAL*, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, THE PROPOSAL, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, *THERE WILL BE AN INVITATION AND A REQUEST*, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, THERE WILL BE AN INVITATION AND A REQUEST, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, *THE POET*, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, THE POET, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, *THE HYPNOTIST*, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, THE HYPNOTIST, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, *THE FAMILY OF BEES*, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, THE FAMILY OF BEES, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, *AN UNEXPECTED EXPERIMENTATION OF GRAVITY*, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, AN UNEXPECTED EXPERIMENTATION OF GRAVITY, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, *AN ALTOGETHER REMOVAL OF IDENTITY*, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, AN ALTOGETHER REMOVAL OF IDENTITY, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, *A SUDDEN SHIFT OF LIGHT INFANTRY*, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, A SUDDEN SHIFT OF LIGHT INFANTRY, oil and charcoal on canvas, 2020. Documentation by Henry Trumble.
Brock Q. Piper, installation view, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker, Eliza Dyball and Aaron Rees.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.